"" The girl who makes things: Holly Jumpsuit

Monday, 13 April 2015

Holly Jumpsuit

It was around this time last year that I met By Hand London girls Elisalex and Victoria at the Minerva Crafts open day. While we were chatting I couldn't help but notice that Elisalex was wearing a rather stunning pair of palazzo pants. She told me were adapted from a new pattern. 'A jumpsuit' I guessed. And a few weeks later, Holly was released.

I'd like to take a brief moment, at this point, to mention how sad I was to hear that By Hand London will be down scaling and no longer printing their paper patterns. By Hand London was one of the first indie pattern companies I came across when I got back into sewing and I've always been impressed by their designs and interaction with the sewing community. They are also lovely, lovely people and truly inspiring business women. I wish them the very best with their company and I'm sure that once they're over this bump in the road, they'll continue to grow. In the mean time, I'll try and nab myself a Sophia dress pattern before it runs out of stock!


I'm a big fan playsuits. I thifted one a couple of summers ago and practically lived in it when temperatures went above 20c and I actually made one a year ago in rayon which I wore with tights all winter long. Yes, playsuits are versatile things. 

Yet a playsuit/jumpsuit is a tricky project to master. Especially one as fitted as Holly. Think about how difficult it is to fit a bodice, now think about how difficult it is to fit trousers, now join the two together. For a non expert like me, fit was my biggest demon.


For the first time in my sewing career I made a few toiles before I was happy with the fit. If you follow me on Instagram, I'm afraid I spammed you a little with my progress. Sorry about that! Anyway, as there were so many alterations and changes, I'll write them in list form. They were as follows:

Bodice
Omitted sleeves and buritoed the bodice
Took 4cm off the centre back neckline
Made a Small Bust Adjustment of 1cm
Lowered the bust darts by 1cm

Shorts:
Added front pockets and patch pockets on the back (I'll write a tutorial about the front pockets in my next post)
Made a Full Butt Adjustment of about 1.5cm
Lowered the crotch by 2cm
Took 2cm off the centre back around the lower spine.

I also graded the size from a UK 8 at the bust to a 10 at the waist and a 12 at the hips.


Wow, that was a whole lotta fitting. I found the By Hand London Sewalong tutorials absolutely invaluable in this project and definitely added a few skills to my set.


Aside from fitting, my other demon was finding a way to insert an invisible zip and make button holes on a very basic John Lewis sewing machine. I managed to achieve both, with a lot of concentration and effort. The invisible zip wasn't too bad as I found I could slide the needle to the left and stitch closer the the zipper teeth. The button holes were harder and I ended up using a variety of zig zag stitches to imitate the stitches of a real button holer. I got there in the end though, and they all function as intended.

The fabric was from Feira dos Tecidos, although I think a lot of places sell it, as I was informed by a fellow Instagrammer. It's a lovely cool printed linen and very easy to work with. I was worried that it might crease too much, but now I quite like the relaxed look.


Pattern matching purists among you might shudder at my complete disregard for matching, but hey, I'm not on the Sewing Bee so I don't care! Besides, I managed to squeeze this make out of 1.5m so I wasted not a scrap.

Making Holly has really given me a lot of practise at some slightly more advanced sewing skills. Now that I have a well fitted pattern, I'd like to take Holly on to some other varations and hybrids such as palazzo pants, shorts, culottes and dresses. Anything seems possible!

21 comments:

  1. This is so cute Rachael! Good job on the fitting it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely jumpsuit, I really want to make one myself. And I’m guessing a toile is going to be needed as well. I didn’t even realize that that is a print that you would ty to match. I thought you only did that with plaids and stripes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalie! Well, I think pattern matching is more important with plaids and stripes, but maybe I could have spread the pattern out a little more evenly - oh well!

      Delete
  3. Ohh so lovely! I never considered doing the Holly without sleeves. Did you just leave them off or alter the shoulder/armsyce at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie! I didn't alter the armscye at all - didn't occur to me to do so. I think it works well either way without any alteration.

      Delete
    2. Sometimes you'd get gaping since it'd be drafted to hold a sleeve, but in this case it's a fitted bodice so maybe that negated it. Worked perfectly anyway!

      Delete
  4. You look like spring! Love the front pockets, and the fabric, and the fit, and well... just everything I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been talking about palazzo pants with my sewing school friends...

    This is just GORGEOUS and I know think I have to go see if there are any more in stock! EEP!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I hope there's one little Holly left for you!

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous, the fit is tremendous really suits you and I love the fabric which I wouldn't have pattern matched either!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is so lovely, and looks nice and cool for when the weather gets really hot! Holly is on my pile to make for this Summer and I'll definitely be following your tutorial for the front pockets. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic, good luck with your Holly, I'll get pisting soon!

      Delete
  8. This is gorgeous! And yey to conquering the fitting demons.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun piece! I love how rompers look, although my long torso makes them hard to get the look just right. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so lovely I wish I owned it! You've done a really great job of the fitting and I bet you'll get loads of wear out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks just awesome, so summery! You have a great talent. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete